We just finished our last seminar, “The Five Levels of Leadership.” It was a great class, several people felt like it was the best one so far.
Leadership is a funny thing, it seems like everyone see’s it in a different light. It is so important that we always remember that, LEADERSHIP IS INFLUENCE, nothing more and nothing less.
Everyone has influence in some area, a father, a mother, a school teacher, a business man or even a regular everyday employee. EVERYONE has influence.
What is important is how you use the influence that God has given you. Influence means that you lead people in some direction. What direction are you leading the people you have influence with. Are you leading them to be better and to do more with their life, or are you taking them down some path that will not help them in any way?
Along with influence comes responsibility. You will be held accountable for where you lead the people you influence. Make sure you are leading them to become better then they were when you left them!!!!
There is a law in Leadership that says, “To do a high jump you need one person who can jump seven feet, not seven people who can jump one foot.”
Many tasks will never be achieved by throwing more people at the task. Jobs many times require talent not more people. EXCELLENCE IS IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT TALENT. Teams don’t win games with talent and without all of the team working together for one goal and one purpose. Talent that is fulfilled brings the greatest happiness that a person can know.
To develop talent it takes a lot of practice and a lot of hard work. However practice will not get you where you want to be unless it is the right practice. You can practice wrong and never will you gain talent.
People must have HEART, HOPE, AND A MIND THAT WANTS TO CHANGE
KEEP CHANGING AND GROWING!!!!
There is a saying that says, “There are never two consecutive days in the life of a leader.” That may be true but I believe that even the days that are not perfect are better than any days you had before you knew what your purpose in life was. When a man or woman begins to walk in their purpose, that are able to meet challenges head on and most of the time they don’t seen that bad.
When we talk about leadership and we want to know how to lead. It is very important to realize that we must be able to “bring something to the table” If we are going to lead people we need to be able to offer them something they now possess. that means we need to be able to help them become better in some area of there lives.
Dwight D. Eisenhower said, “In order to be a leader a man must have followers, And to have followers, a man must have their confidence. Hence the supreme quality for a leader is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a sections gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. If a man’s associates find him guilty of phoniness, if they find that he lacks forthright integrity, he will fail. His teachings and actions must square up with each other. The first great need, therefore is INTEGRITY AND HIGH PURPOSE.”
There is an old adage that says, “All is well that ends well” I really believe there is more to this saying than meets the eye. First of all I believe that “All is well that begins well.” It is just as important how you start something because how you start will determine how well you end up.
I have seen many projects started that were not started with the right preparation or with the proper capital. Most of those projects fail or at best struggle for the duration of the project.
Not only is it important how you start but it is also important how maintain while the project is in force. You must start well and maintain well and then “All is well when it ends well.”
We have a lot of input on how we start, how we maintain and how we end. Make sure we go through all the steps and then the end will be all that you expected it to be.
I was just thinking about leadership and what I wanted to accomplish in my own leadership and influence in the church.
If you will be in the Colorado area in July, make sure to register for my Leadership Workshop! Just click the link below and it will direct you to the registration form.
A navigator looks, thinks, and see’s AHEAD. He see’s problems before they get there because he looks ahead and anticipates problems that might come. He is aware of and knows that problems are a part of life, EVERYONE’S LIFE. It’s amazing how we are all different, but we all have basically the same problems or the same type of problems. Most people have gone through FINANCIAL problems, most people have had MEDICAL problems, and most people have had RELATIONSHIP problems. These PROBLEMS are common to us all.
FOUR THINGS TO BE AWARE OF WHEN LEADING PEOPLE:
1. EVERYBODY FACES PROBLEMS: As people go through life, they are expecting that someday, when their ship comes in they will be rid of all their problems. This never happens, the ship never comes in. WE CANNOT EVER GET RID OF OUR PROBLEMS, WE CAN ONLY LEARN HOW TO HANDLE THEM.
2. SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE USUALLY FACE MORE PROBLEMS THAT THOSE WHO ARE NOT AS SUCCESSFUL. One of the misconceptions of life is that people got to be successful because they did not have as many problems as another person. THAT IS NOT TRUE. They usually have MORE PROBLEMS not fewer problems. They have just developed the skill of life in how to overcome their PROBLEMS.
3. MONEY WILL NOT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS: Many times it will add to the PROBLEMS you already have. It has been shown that people with money are usually less content with life. People with a large sum of money tend to spend it on things they feel with make them happy. This very seldom works. HAPPINESS comes from WITHIN, not with all the toys you have been able to buy.
4. PROBLEMS PROVIDE OPPORTUNITIES FOR GROWTH. We need to develop an attitude that see’s problems, not as, they put us in prison, but as a DOOR that opens our life to more OPPORTUNITIES and a better life. King David would have been just a SHEEPHERDER if it weren’t for the BIG problem in his life (Goliath). Goliath was the problem that pushed David to forefront of Israel’s history. This was his DEFINING MOMENT.
YOU HAVE A MOMENT LIKE THIS ALSO, BUT YOU MUST BE WILLING AND UNAFRAID TO FACE THE BIG PROBLEMS IN YOUR LIFE. Be a GIANT killer in face them FACE TO FACE.
I have found in the last 30 years of full time ministry that people want all the same things that I want. They want to be fulfilled in their marriages, their work, their families and most of all just in themselves. People are looking all over the place for “HAPPINESS.” For many people it looks like and they feel like HAPPINESS just seem to elude them and they are unfulfilled in their daily lives.
HAPPINESS AND PEACE have to come from WITHIN a person, not from outside sources. You must be happy on the inside in order to enjoy the things that come to us on the outside.
There are at least FOUR THINGS that we should include in our pursuit for HAPPINESS:
1. ATTITUDE: More than anything else, ATTITUDE DETERMINES whether a person is happy and fulfilled in their life. ATTITUDE is the difference maker in all of our lives.
2. RELATIONSHIPS: The planet is made up of over 6 BILLION people. Therefore we all have to learn how to get along with others effectively. The ability to communicate and relate to others will help us with every other aspect of life.
3. LEADERSHIP: Everything rises and falls on LEADERSHIP. This is measured in the amount of INFLUENCE you have with other people. Good positive influence will help everyone involved to become a better person including yourself.
4. PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL SKILLS: This is what helps us to grow and become what GOD has designed us to be. We will never become what we are supposed to be without the help of other people in our lives.
Here’s the point, “It’s not what happens to people that makes the difference, it’s what happens in them that counts.”